Sometimes thought of as dessert in a glass, the White Russian is great for those who are not big on the taste of alcohol. It was first mentioned in 1965 and is based on the Black Russian.
Here’s a classic White Russian recipe with Kahlua.
Ingredients For a White Russian
- 2 oz. of Vodka
- 1 oz. of Kahlua
- ½ oz. of cream
Sounds easy? It is, but don’t think that you will be able to simply mix all of those ingredients together.
Follow these 5 steps for the perfect White Russian.
- First you will want to start out with a highball glass filed with ice cubes.
- Pour the vodka over the ice and let it settle into the bottom.
- Add the Kahlua and let it mix with the vodka. The Kahlua is heavier than the vodka so it will always sink to the bottom of the glass unless you mix them.
- Top off the glass with cream. If you don’t have any cream handy you can use milk instead – just keep in mind that this won’t result in a real White Russian. Make sure not to stir – the cream should stay on the top of the glass with the dark Kahlua visible on the bottom.
- Garnish with a cherry if you like and add a cocktail straw. The straw will allow the drinker to sip from the alcoholic or milk sections or to stir the ingredients if they wish.
You can check out below video – it’s a commercial for Kahlua and the ingredients differ slightly from my recommendation above, but it gives you an idea of how fast and easy it is to make a White Russian.
Variations of the White Russian
By leaving out the cream you can make yourself a Black Russian which will be less like a dessert drink. It is also good for those avoiding dairy.
To make a seemingly strange but surprisingly tasty twist, add in a splash of Coca-Cola to make what is known as a Colorado Bulldog.
Fearless drinkers might choose to skip the cream altogether and substitute it with Bailey’s Irish Cream. By substituting Bailey’s what you will be left with is basically a glass of liquor. This is called a Blind Russian.
More Useful Drink Recipes:
- Classic Sidecar
- Old Fashioned
- Sazerac Cocktail
- Singapore Sling
- Homemade Eggnog
- Classic Manhattan
Or check out our Bartender’s Cabinet
Make your White Russian in one of our portable bars
See our testimonial video below: